Sunday 2 August 2009

Why an anonymous blog?

If you've taken the time to read some of my posts over the past month, the answer should be clear.  If it's still a little muddy, here's a handy list of reasons to keep my identity somewhat veiled here in the ether:

  1. I guarantee that some of the things I write will get a few individuals' knickers in a twist. Those people might be newspaper editors, religious extremists, altruistic redistributionists democrats, university presidents, real estate agents, chairmen of corporations, restauranteurs, Starbucks afficionados, anyone with a forum screen name like "Mommy123," or whoever. The list could be infinite.  I don't want any of these people finding out who I am and re-enacting Kristallnacht on the street where I live.
  2. I think I'm going to like my new job in the UAE, and if that ends up being the case, I'd like to keep it.  At least for a while.
  3. My husband already likes his job, and perhaps more importantly, it's paying (most of) the bills.  We'd like that to continue.
  4. While the UAE is pretty darn tolerant a society, it doesn't really rank with the US in terms of freedom of expression, so I'd like to keep below the radar of any cultural policing.
  5. Despite the fact that I'm posting to the entire electronic universe, I'm a pretty private person.  Except when it comes to Facebook.
So, dear readers, some of you have come to this forum as a result of a Google search for "salons in Madinat Zayed."  I hope you find the information useful.  Others (and you know who you are) have arrived here because I directed you to the site.  Please do me a tiny favour and assist me in maintaining my ethereal anonymity.

No comments:

Post a Comment