Tuesday 25 August 2009

Ten things I love about Abu Dhabi

After ten days here, I am finally finding the time to write a new post.  Rather than a "how-to" manual, I'll just jot down a few of the things that have made the past week and a half one of the most interesting, suprising, entertaining, and, well, FUN ten days I've ever experienced.

Here we go:

1.  People call me "Mem".  Yes, as in "Memsahib".
2.  I can get my hands henna-painted for $15 US by someone who might as well be called Picasso.
3.  Our villa has seven bathrooms.  Ok, maybe that's not such a good thing...
4.  I'm able to wear my 24-karat gold jewellery and people don't think it's costume.
5.  98% of the people I meet are gracious and kind.
6.  Saying "Ramadan Kareem" elicits some of the widest smiles I've ever seen.
7.  My husband has started uttering sentences like "Very very rain" when describing the monsoon season in India.
8.  We were able to decorate our entire villa with gorgeous draperies for less than $3,000 US.
9.  The food is outstanding -- everywhere (ok, ok, maybe with the exception of Cantina Laredo).  From the ready-made treats at the Lulu Hypermarket to the lamb shishlik at Hatam Al Taei.
10.  The sun shines.  EVERY SINGLE DAY.

The funny thing is, although there have been a couple of annoyances here and there, I can't come up with a list of ten things I hate about Abu Dhabi.  Maybe in time.

Then again, maybe not.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. That was funny. That was just ten things you wrote, and I am sure you could write more to add.


    property shop abu dhabi

    ReplyDelete