Sunday 26 July 2009

Staying pretty in the desert

Time for a refreshing break from rental market ramblings.  Ready?  Let's say "salon."

I'm not actually much of a salon sort of a gal.  For one, I'm cheap economically conservative, and for two, I really have nothing to contribute to the idle chit chat about last night's reality show that constitutes 99% of the conversations in pretty much any salon.  I'm more of the just-cut-my-hair-and-shut-up type.  But I do go to these places once in a while, and I'm going to up the frequency by some order of magnitude once we arrive in our new home.

There's a salon (or sometimes a "saloon") on pretty much every corner in Abu Dhabi.  A huge number of these are for gents, but I'm going to focus on the ones for ladies in this posting (for reasons that should be obvious, salons over there are not unisex).


Note the conspicuous lack of addresses.  Take Effie Salon, for instance.  It's on Najda Street. Great.  Najda Street (also called 6th Street) is about three kilometers long.  And like most streets, it has two sides.  If it hadn't been smack in front of the hotel we were staying in, I never would've found the place.

But as it happens, Effie's has an enormous sign on the side of the building it's in.  That was sort of helpful, but I still had to circumnavigate the building and ask two salesgirls in one of the shops to point me in the right direction.

Here's what to do: Stand in front of the Al Maha Arjaan, facing Najda Street.  Look to the right and slightly up.  You'll see the sign.  Now walk around to the side of the building facing AWAY from Najda Street.  That's the entrance and there's a directory in the lobby if I remember correctly.

The benefit of not being able to find Effie's right away was that by chatting with the salesgirl I found out that it's a GREAT place to have your eyebrows threaded, but not a very good choice for a manicure and pedicure.  So I ventured up to the mysterious Effie's and had my brows threaded.

I know what many of you gals are thinking, and it rhymes with whisky tango foxtrot.

Eyebrow threading is an ancient art, and interestingly called bande abru (bande = 'thread'; abru = 'eyebrow') in Persia.  Or what used to be Persia.  Notice the amazing similarity to English's 'band' and 'eyebrow.'  Pretty cool, huh?  That's because Persian (Farsi) is an indo-european language, not an afro-asiatic language like the semitic Arabic.  But I digress.

I didn't notice any Persians at Effie's, but the woman who did my eyebrows was a wonderful Indian lady named Dorothy.  Yes, really (remember, it wasn't that long ago that the Brits were still in India).  I had some serious doubts about the efficacy of winding thread around my little eyebrow hairs, and even more serious doubts as to how in the world any premeditated shape would be achieved, but five minutes and pretty much zero pain later, I walked out with the best eyebrow job I'd ever had.

For fifteen dirham ($4.09).

The thing about salons in Abu Dhabi is that they are dirt cheap.   (The same treatment in London's Mayfair costs $23.00.)

Now Effie's isn't the poshest place on the planet, and it seems to cater more to non-western women, which might turn some expats off.  But not this one.  It was clean and tidy, and Dorothy was fantastic.  I didn't have the heart to tell her I was going somewhere else to have my nails and toes done.

Which brings me to manicures and pedicures.  The nice gal at the shop near Effie's recommended Nails (yet another website under construction), which has a branch in Khalidiya at Al Muhairy Centre and another in Abu Dhabi Mall.  I chose the Abu Dhabi Mall location because it was within walking distance (about a mile, which is the most I can do in 110 degree weather) from our hotel.

Nails was great.  No appointments, but I only had to wait about five minutes before two gals went to work on my hands and footsies.  I walked out about 40 minutes later with a superb manicure and pedicure, for a grand total of $27.26.

And this is one of the EXPENSIVE nail salons in the city.

Sometimes, I really do enjoy being a girl.

2 comments:

  1. That was a treat for you then. Nice day your having there,


    property shop real estate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete