Friday 11 September 2009

Getting a driving license

This was not nearly as challenging as I imagined it would be.

For starters, the Abu Dhabi Government Portal has a page devoted to the exchange of foreign driving licenses (you'll need to have a valid license from one of the listed countries in order to exchange -- everyone else needs to take either a theory test, a practical test, or both).  They've also got (get this) a phone number that actually has a person at the other end.  A good thing, since while the government portal site mentions something about blood type, that data isn't actually required.

Once I had my residence visa in my passport, I asked my company for a non-objection letter (NOL), which was cranked out in a matter of days.  Then off to one of the myriad typing/translation shops to get my driving license translated into Arabic.  Or so I thought.  It turned out that the HR department was happy to collect my license and hand it over to a fellow who has a cozy relationship with one of the typing/translating places in Abu Dhabi, so I didn't have to lift a finger.  And as an added bonus, I paid 45 Dhs instead of the usual 70 Dhs.  Whoohoo!  Now I can go to Starbucks and get myself a frappalappadingdong with the savings.  Or not.

Armed with my passport and a copy, NOL, original license, Arabic translation of my license, three passport photos from my stock of two dozen, and 220 Dhs, I headed down to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing office on Muroor Road at about 0915.  Arrived at 0924 and made my way directly to the Information desk, where the sullen receptionist looked over my paperwork and issued me with a number.  Then I waited for about 30 minutes until my number was called, and went into the eye test room.  That took about 55 seconds (hint:  if you wear glasses, BRING THEM).  Turns out I needed my glasses to read the 2 millimeter-sized letters on the board 10 feet away.

After paying 20 Dhs for the eye test and being issued a receipt and some form saying "Fit - glasses," I returned to reception where I was issued a new number. Of course I planned on another 30-minute wait, but - miracle of miracles - my number was already flashing at one of the counters!  Another sullen gal took a look at my paperwork, snapped a picture of me (sans glasses, I might add), demanded 200 Dhs, and shoved me off to the adjacent counter where I handed in all of my papers to the police officers in charge of issuing the actual license.  They asked me to sit down and wait.  Oh boy - another 30 minutes, I thought.

But no.

Within about two minutes, my name was called and I was handed a shiny new Abu Dhabi driving license (with, by the way, no mention of a restriction regarding eyesight).  So what if it doesn't actually have my surname on it?  I was back home by 1030.

Now I just need something to drive.

4 comments:

  1. My experience (converting from Singapore license to UAE License )
    First of all to open a file Abu Dhabi driers and vehicles licensing department near to Mushrif Mall called it is free, there are no people at all in the morning. Men and women can go there

    I have seen mussafah driving company and mussafah police station, there was a lot of Q all the time from early morning to till evening
    Yesterday I went to mussafah driving company to book my theory classes.
    I collected my token at 1 pm and i was called to counter at 5 PM


    Coming to People belong to category 3(refer first few lines of this blog)

    Please go to Abu Dhabi driers and vehicles licensing department near to Mushrif Mall
    Remember it is the only place they will convert license straightaway without any theory or road test
    I mean people having USA, Singapore, Canada, Most European countries, Australia, New Zeland has to go there only

    My experience is that I am Indian having Singapore license. They gave me Abu Dhabi license even though I am not Singapore citizen

    It cost 200 AED and all you need is translation of your driving license, no need to have company letter (My experience only)
    you can get translation of licence in that office itself with cost of 100 AED.But it depends on the availability of that translation personal

    And other important information for people who is taking theory test and road teat
    Go to musaffah or murror police station to open the file if you are looking for car license. Don’t go to musaffah driving center.
    Please bring all the documents, and photo copies of it (some of them are, passport copy’s, visa copy’s, existing driving license copy’s, translation, photos etc)
    You need to submit them to open file . once file opened then you have to book theory classes
    For that you have to go to driving center in Musaffah for that you need
    You need passport and visa copies, the photo copy’s of forms given at the time of file opening and the photo copy of the card given at the time of opening the file

    All the information is my observation only . it is true at the time of publishing this post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ability of translating bulk volume projects within the soonest possible duration while maintaining the pride of accuracy at the same time.
    Legal Translation Company in Abu Dhabi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete