Saturday 26 September 2009

Piercing the veil

Let's face it, these veils are a physical and psychological barrier to social interaction.  I suppose that's the whole point.  But apart from my subconscious (sort of) desire to re-enact Yoko Ono's Cut Piece (I won't even get into why this sort of so-called art is one of the most vile things I've ever seen), I do actually try to break through that wall of black material.  At least when I think the time is right.

And it was right today.

There I was, happily (??) checking out at the Lulu's when a veiled woman and her two sons appeared behind me.  One of the sons picked up the "Next Customer" wedge-shaped thing (yes, they have those here too) and started putting his mum's groceries right behind mine -- without the wedge-shaped thing in between!  Mum was clearly dismayed by this and began (I suppose) explaining to son number one that the whole point of the wedge-shaped thing was to separate one's groceries from those of the next (or previous) person.  The time was ripe...

I looked at the young fella and said "mighty clever of you, trying to get me to pay for your groceries."  Mum laughed heartily, translated for her boys, and all involved enjoyed the joke (except for the sullen Flip at the checkout counter -- oh SORRY -- Filipina).

And thus the veil was pierced.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thoroughly enjoying the posts! Keep them coming! Abu Dhabi is an experience that I will not ever forget when I leave...if, I leave.

    Owe you and the Mr. a cup of joe at Starbucks one day should we ever run into each other at Lulu's...and in the meantime, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the two of you...

    ReplyDelete